2016 – Associate Professor, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies
2014 – 2016 Post-doctoral Researcher, IAE-CSIC
2008 – 2014 Assistant Professor, Universitat Pompeu Fabra
2008 – 2016 Affiliated Professor, Barcelona GSE
2008 Ph.D. Economics, Columbia University
2002 M.A. International Economics, Graduate Institute of International Studies
2000 License in International Relations, GIIS, Switzerland
Teaching and Research Fields
Development Economics, Public Economics, Political Economics, Microeconometrics
2014 – Associate Editor, The Journal of Human Resources
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics (2); American Journal of Political Science (1); American Political Science Review (3); Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy (1); BioMed Central Pregnancy and Childbirth (1); Canadian Journal of Economics (1); Econometrica (1); Economica (1); Economic Development and Cultural Change (2); Economic Inquiry (2); Economic Journal (5); Economics Letters (1); European Economic Review (4); International Tax and Public Finance (1); Journal of African Economies (2); Journal of Development Economics (7); Journal of Economic Issues (1); Journal of the European Economic Association (4); Journal of Health Economics (1); Journal of Human Resources (6); Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization (1); Journal of Public Economics (9); Quarterly Journal of Economics (1); Public Management Review (1); Review of Economics and Statistics (3); Review of Economic Studies (1); Scandinavian Journal of Economics (1)
Conference Presentations and Discussions
2017 Hayami Conference at GRIPS
2016 Political Economy of Development and Conflict Workshop Barcelona
2015 RIDGE/LACEA-PEG Montevideo, IPEA Workshop on Public Procurement Rio de Janeiro, Political Economy of Development and Conflict Workshop Barcelona, IEB Workshop on Political Economy and Public Finance Barcelona, NSEA University of Fribourg
2014 ASSA Philadelphia, NEUDC Boston University, LACEA Sao Paulo, RES Conference Manchester, COSME–Fedea IV Workhop on Gender Economics, Political Economy of Development and Conflict Workshop Barcelona, Research and Innovation in Governance Conference Nairobi, EEA Toulouse, ASWEDE Stockholm, NSEA Swiss National Bank
2013 ASSA San Diego, NEUDC Harvard University, QURE Workshop Reus, V Fiscal Federalism Workshop at IEB, Political Economy Workshop Bristol, Institutional Challenges SITE
2012 NEUDC Dartmouth University, EEA Málaga, SAEe Vigo, NSEA University of Lucerne
2011 NEUDC Yale University, IV Fiscal Federalism Workshop at IEB, Rotterdam Political Economy Workshop, Petralia Workshop
2010 NEUDC MIT, CEPR Development Economics Barcelona, NSEA Studycenter Gerzensee
2009 NEUDC Tufts University, NSEA University of Basel
2008 NEUDC Boston University, NSEA University of Zürich
2007 NEUDC Harvard University, NSEA University of St.Gallen, IGERT Columbia University
2006 NEUDC Cornell University, NSEA University of Lausanne, IGERT Columbia University
2017 University of Tokyo, Institute of Developing Economics Tokyo, Kyoto University
2016 GRIPS Tokyo, Hitotsubashi University, University of Tokyo
2015 FGV-EESP São Paulo, Università della Svizzera Italiana, GRIPS Tokyo, University of Heidelberg, Universitat de Barcelona
2014 University of Michigan, University of Gothenburg, Tinbergen Institute Amsterdam
2013 Stockholm University
2012 Paris School of Economics, Toulouse School of Economics, University of Namur, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
2011 BeNA Leibnitz Seminar Berlin, Universitat de Alicante
2010 Bocconi University, Trinity College Dublin, Institut d’Economia de Barcelona
2009 LSE (CEP), University of Bristol
2008 University of Chicago (The Harris School), UC Merced, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, FGV Rio de Janeiro, Center for Global Development, University of Toronto, University of Montreal
2016 – Quantitative Methods for Policy Evaluation, Università della Svizzera Italiana
2015 – 2016 Graduate Econometrics, IDEA PhD program, UAB
2009 – 2016 Graduate Microeconometrics, GPFEM PhD program, UPF
2009 – 2014 Undergraduate Econometrics
2011 – 2016 Policy Evaluation Barcelona GSE Summer School
2012 – 2016 Quantitative Methods for Public Policy Evaluation, BGSE MA degrees
Seminar and Conference Organization
2011 – 2013 Co-Organizer, UPF Labor/Public/Development External Seminar
2010 – 2011 Co-Organizer, UPF Labor/Public/Development Internal Seminar
2012 Co-Organizer, Barcelona Development Economics Workshop
2013 – 2016 Co-Organizer, BGSE Summer Forum Workshop Political Institutions
2014 – 2016 Co-Organizer, BGSE Summer Forum Workshop Advances in Micro Development
2015 Co-PI, research grant, J-PAL Governance Initiative
2014 Co-PI, research grant, Contraloría General de la República de Chile
2014 Co-PI, research grant, J-PAL Governance Initiative
2014 Co-PI, research grant, Corporación Andina de Fomento
2013 Co-Investigator, research grant, Swiss National Science Foundation
2012 Co-Investigator, research grant, Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation
2010 Co-Investigator, research grant, Swiss National Science Foundation
2010 Co-Investigator, research grant, Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation
Dissertation Sponsor: María Lombardi, Aamer Shahid
Dissertation Co-Sponsor (with Marta Reynal-Querol): Marian Meller
Dissertation Reader: Shikeb Farooqui, Marta Curto Grau, Yoko Oishi
- Development Economics
- Public Economics
- Political Economics
- “Are Rules-based Government Programs Shielded from Special-Interest Politics? Evidence from Revenue-Sharing Transfers in Brazil,” UPF Working Paper 1144, Journal of Public Economics, 2012, 96: 1047-1060.
- “The Impact of Intergovernmental Transfers on Education Outcomes and Poverty Reduction,” with Kevin M. Morrison, AEJ: Applied Economics, 2013, 5(4): 206-240. Online Appendix.
- “Saving Lives: Evidence from a Conditional Food Supplementation Program,” with Marian Meller, BGSE Working Paper 609, Journal of Human Resources, 2014, 49(4): 1017-1055. Online Appendix.
- “Adapting the Supply of Education to the Needs of Girls: Evidence from a Policy Experiment in Rural India,” with Marian Meller, BGSE Working Paper 805, Journal of Human Resources, 2016, 51(3): 760-802. Online Appendix.
- “Audit Risk and Rent Extraction: Evidence from a Randomized Evaluation in Brazil,” with Yves Zamboni, BGSE Working Paper 554, R & R, Journal of Development Economics. Online Appendix.
- “Long-run Impacts of Intergovernmental Transfers,” with Irineu de Carvalho Filho, BGSE Working Paper 718. Online Appendix.
- “Judicial Presence and Rent Extraction,” with Yves Zamboni, BGSE Working Paper 796, R & R, Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization. Online Appendix.
Work in Progress
- “Policy Choices in Assembly vs. Representative Democracies: Evidence from Swiss Communes,” with Patricia Funk.
- “Can Audits Backfire? Evidence from Public Procurement in Chile,” with Maria Paula Gerardino, Ben Olken and Dina Pomeranz.
“Which Tail Matters? Inequality and Growth in Brazil” with María Lombardi.